Posts Tagged Business Tips
- The first frontier of defence is a strong password
- Sharing information with people you’ve only met online is a mistake
- Only shop with trusted merchants
- Banking safely online is the key to cyber security
by Jim Hague, CEO, CrystalDI Web Design (www.crystaldi.com)
Space and fonts are two important components that carries a hidden communication on the seriousness of not only your website, but your business.
Let’s start with fonts.
Back in the 90’s, when the world was just gaining familiarity with the internet, most computer system carried the basic fonts link Verdana,
Arial, Comic Sans, and San Serif.
The issue that challenged us webmasters at the time was matching the fonts we wanted to use for design to the fonts installed in our client’s computers. If the client’s computer did not contain the font used by web programmers, the browsers would display the text with a different font.
Today that conflict is no longer an issue. Most computer operating systems are installed with thousands of fonts. Webmasters are free to create using the fonts with little concern of on how text will appear on the client side.
Whatever font you use, the size and color are the most important attributes. Be sure headings, sub headings, and paragraph all use different sized fonts or styles and be consistent through out the websites. Like below:
The beginning of a paragraph.
It’s recommended to use a font size of 10pt – 14 pt with colors in complete contrast with the background (i.e. Black fonts with a white background, yellow fonts in a blue background, etc).
Now the type of font used on your website communicates, subconsciously, to the viewers the type of business you are. If your business caters to ‘events for kids’ you may want to consider comic sans or balloon fonts. If you are the owner of an elegant dining hall you may
want a website that uses an elegant font like Pristinaor Vivaldi.
How do you know which is the best font to use? Study your competitors?
Adding Pristina font to a website about beat up old Ford truck is like driving a beat up old Ford truck to your prom.
Now let’s talk about space.
Keep in mind that a computer screen is light! A very bright light. Turn off all the lights in the room except the monitor and you’ll still be able to look for those car keys.
With your face 24 inches away from the monitor your eyes will get tired after some time. When the eyes get tired the result is a 20% slower reader than paper!
To spare your viewers from this pain you must take into consideration of space, alignment, and clutter.
Alignment is an important influence on the way the view reads text. There are four choices for alignment:
left, right, center, and justify.
Paragraphs aligned to the left are the most common and are easy on the eye.
Paragraphs that are
center-aligned has its place
usually websites that are involved in poetry or art.
Right alignment is not
recommended at all. It’s okay if you are trying to collect data like
names and emails with respective entry fields, but people may find this
hard to read.
The most advisable
alignment is justified. We re-visit the Feng Shui concept of sharp edges
promoting bad energy. Left, right, and center alignment causes jagged
edges in the paragraphs it forms. Justify alignment limits jagged edges.
Both sides of a paragraph remain straight, promoting a good reading experience.
Let’s discuss clutter
What would you think about a person who’s closet looks like this?
Not to great.
Clutter denotes low self-esteem. A well-organized closet portrays self-respect and confidence.
Similarly, a cluttered website will communicate that you don’t care what people think. A well groomed and designed website will enhance your image.
Here are some tips on space and layout:Avoid scattering images all over the pages.
Here are some simple rules to follow about clutter.
- Keep columns of text about ¼ inch apart
- Pictures and text should also be at least ¼ inch part
- Links should be placed on top or on the left side of the page and maintained at the same place throughout the site.
- Use no more than two images embedded into a single paragraph.
- Keep reading zones narrow, not stretching from one end of the screen to the other. That only tires eyes
Lets look at the examples below. The company had us re-design the website from what it used to look like on the left, what it looks like on the right (much better).
Use appropriate fonts, paragraph alignment, and clutter. Make it easier for your clients to read your text and they will keep coming back.
Comments can be sent to email@example.com
by Jim Hague,
CEO, CrystalDI (www.crysaldi.com)
The predator has one goal and that is to have an intimate physical experience regardless if it’s against the child’s will.
a kid (anyone under the age of 17) or young adult is molested, the
impact cannot only destroy the innocence of a childhood, but causes life
long scars that may never heal.
experiences shame, guilt, and low esteem. Many experience intimacy
issues themselves or become sexually aggressive. Regardless, the
predator is a monster and should be treated as such.
can sympathize the fact that many predators were victims themselves.
Sometimes it may be necessary. After all, these people need help since
they have been victims themselves. However, the minute they act-out on a
child, they should get help ‘after’ they have the received the
Unfortunately, the predator has found a new tool in addition to their deranged mind…the Internet.
it’s a predator or a sexual addict, the Internet has become a haven for
those who can’t help but lurk after the innocent. To understand how to
protect your child from predators we must understand the mind of a
screen these predators can make themselves into anything they want.
Predators can be a 40-year man interacting with a 12-year-old girl and
know exactly what to say. They become your child’s best friend and build
the type of relationship that child has always wanted. That predator
will listen, offer advise, and build enough trust to the point where the
child will share the most intimate details of their lives, like phone
numbers, addresses, and eventually pictures. The child, unaware that
they are being hunted, may grow to value online relationships over the
reality of their family and friends.
know the lingo and the popular trends of the younger generation. To say
that they are wolves in sheepskin is an understatement. In the
Internet, the sheepskin is a username. Instead of open fields where the
sheep graze, the Internet offers chat rooms and social networking sites.
It’s very challenging to catch a predator at first because they hide behind their online profiles.
Protecting your child from the potential of being victimized is not only our jobs as parents, but as human beings. There are some signs you should look out for:
to you kids about the dangers of online predators and encourage them to
communicate with you. Don’t let your child have an online profile
without first taking to them.
- Limit your child’s participation on too many social media websites. Allow them just one, like Facebook.
social networking websites has a minimum age limit of 13 years old. Do
not let you child create online accounts by lying about their age.
your child is of age, oversee what they write be aware of check their
list of friends. Ask them not to accept any friend request unless they
know who the other person is.
their emails. For young children, make sure to create emails in which
you copied on all their correspondence. Do not allow your kids to use
their private emails for use of social networking.
- Always know your child’s username and password. Go into their account and make sure that all interactions are safe.
sure your child does not upload revealing pictures of themselves that
show too much skin. Teenage girls are most at risk for attack by
for subtle signs such as (1) your child is quick to log on to the
Internet especially at night or (2) your child quickly switches screens
when you enter the room.
- Have the computer in common room. A child who is involved with an online relationship with a predator wants privacy.
signs of your child being involved with a predator are (1). Child
receiving and sending sexually explicit pictures or emails (2). The
predator sends gifts as a way to lure your child.
- Use online parental controls like the ones built into Windows 7 or Vista.
Do a search on ‘parental controls’ and you will have plenty to choose from.
If you suspect that the person your child is communicating with is a probable predator, then gather the necessary materials:
- Printouts of conversations
- Screen captures
- Explicit photographs found on your child’s hard drive.
Gather all materials on a disk (or bring the computer itself) and report to police.
The reason why kids value online relationships is because they may be lacking a valued relationship at home and school. In
the news we heard about young people committing suicide. The reason for
this is because the real world is too difficult to handle for some with
low self-esteem or relationship issues. The virtual world allows such
person to re-create himself. The virtual world is less painful and all
So never ever scold or punish a child for attracting a predator. It is not their fault, it’s the fault of the predator.
The predators know this. Now you know this.
Using this article (as well as others) I hope we do something about this.
Comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Jim Hague, CEO, Crystal Digital Images (www.crystaldi.com)
Some financial analysts declared that we no longer live in a bad economy.
Instead we are witnessing the emergence of a new economy, one that caters to online transactions. As a result, entrepreneurs are establishing more online businesses than any other time in history. Here’s why.
Consumers have grown accustomed to utilizing websites
The Internet revolution, armed with computers, hand-held devices, and eventually our televisions have taken away the old method of business and the way we live our lives. Once considered to be the playground of the younger generation, has evolved into a powerful business medium for all generations.
Little monetary risk involved
Creating an online business requires little start-up capital. If one business does not work, it’s easy to pick up and start again. In fact, it’s not unusual for many entrepreneurs to operate multiple websites at once, thus creating multiple streams of income.
The resale value
The resale value of a website is not based on revenues, but by the size of the database of names and emails. Facebook generated revenues of 1.5 billion in 2010. With its nearly 600 million users Facebook’s net worth is estimated at $50 billion. Google’s revenue topped at $6 billion. The company estimated net worth is about $153 billion.
Here are 11 tips to start up a new Internet business in 2011:
- Create a Business PlanSome things never change. Like any business it all starts with a plan. Set goals and how to achieve them. Use the services of the Small Business Administration (SBA) for guidance or go to www.sba.gov.
- Use a flow chartA flowchart is the blue print of a website (see illustration below). It is an illustration of connecting boxes and lines to define navigation and functionality.
- Hire a Good WebmasterThe Webmaster is the most important investment for an online business. Find a Webmaster who has worked with start ups and understands the mission of the business.
- Keep It SimpleDon’t overwhelm consumers with too many features, functions, and content. That’s like serving the appetizer, the main course, and desert at all once. Add new content over time. It keeps the consumer interested and returning to the website.
- Collect Names and EmailThe key to a successful web business is not just search engine placement or social media. ‘Communication’ achieves success. When new articles are published or products and services are added, inform consumers with a mass email campaign.That’s not to say that Search Engines and the Social Networking websites are to be ignored. However, without communication, the consumers will lose interest and move on to another website.
- Optimize for the Search EnginesAsk the Webmaster to code the site for the best search results. This takes some time, however, unless pay-per-click is utilized. It’s recommended to first exhaust all free forms of advertising on search engines ranking prior to taking out the credit card.
- Use Domain Names with Keywords. Search engines favor domain names with embedded keywords. If a guy named is Jackie owns a donut shop in Cincinnati. Instead of Jackiesdonuts.com he should consider Cincinnatidonuts.com. More people search for ‘Cincinnati’ and ‘Donuts’ before they search for ‘Jackie’.
- Use Videos more then TextGoogleTV is already a big hit and is expected to grow. Eventually Internet content is going to the TV. That means less reading and more watching. Use videos for special instructions and to communicate important facts about your online businesses.
- Blogs and Social NetworkBlogging is a powerful method of generating visits and top rankings from search engines. Viral videos can achieve the same results. Publish an article on a popular blog site such as Blogger or WordPress. If a video has been developed then upload it onto You Tube. Then inform fellow members Facebook, Twitter, Plaxo and any other social networking site with over a million registered users.
10. Use banner ads on popular websites
While a price maybe involved, advertise on a website with high volume traffic. This attracts a new audience independent of search engines and the social networking sites.
11. Regular Networking
Having an online business does not dismiss the notion of a one-on-one interaction with a prospective consumer. Create business cards, brochures, and go out and network. After shaking hands with prospective consumers, collect their business cards and add the information on your database.
Rare is a website that achieves overnight success. However, with patience, perseverance and a good marketing plan the return of investment will prove worth it. Happy New Year!
If I can answer any questions to you, email me at email@example.com
Visit my website at www.crystaldi.com.